The world’s first Virgin Hotel developed for Sir Richard Branson is located in the former Old Dearborn Bank Building.
The building is a Chicago historic landmark in the north loop area of Chicago. The architect was Rapp and Rapp, who were known for designing some of Chicago’s most ornate theater buildings. The building received landmark status in 2003 which provided the new owners with $6.5 million in tax credits for a total renovation. Under the direction of the architectural firm Booth Hansen and general contractor McHugh Construction, the renovation began in 2012.
Auburn Corporation was selected as the window contractor and is installing over 1100 Graham fixed offset windows to replicate in original Double Hung design. Double laminated insulated glass with high-performance Low-E was used to comply with the design specifications. Special consideration was given to selecting a proper window application which would conform to the sitelines and profiles of the original steel windows. Other considerations included the very high acoustical requirements needed to filter out the loud noises created by elevated trains running right next to the hotel.